Auckland Super Saturday – everything you need to know!
By Shazreen Hussain
Auckland is gearing up for a big day of COVID-19 vaccinations this Saturday 16 October. The city will ramp up this weekend with free sausage sizzles, ice cream, live music, and spot prizes on offer at vaccination centres and pop-up events across the town. Kiwis will also see a dozen pop-up events taking place across the city.
Aotearoa’s largest domestic and international airline Air New Zealand is also transforming one of its Boeing 787 Dreamliner jets into a vaccine centre, offering 300 people the chance to get vaccinated in the business class. However, those spots have already been filled.
Opening hours of the region’s 16 community vaccination centres and drive-throughs have been extended especially for Super Saturday. The Auckland CBD vaccination centre is being dressed up with rainbow decorations and there will be live music, spot prizes, and sausage sizzle.
There will also be free coffee at Albany with Mr. Whippy’s truck visit, spot prizes and chocolate fish handed out to everyone who receives their dose. Many of the mobile vaccination buses and vans will be out and about in the community this Saturday. Celebrities, including TV personalities and sports stars, will be making special appearances at some locations during the day.
At present, there is 13 percent of the city’s eligible population still to get their first dose. So, the more people get fully vaccinated, the more protection we have against COVID-19. This will give us more freedom, especially with kiwi summer just around the corner. It is about protecting ourselves, our whānau, and our broader communities in this pandemic and we all have a part to play.
Fully vaccinated against COVID-19? You can still help by talking to friends and family who may still be hesitating, listening to them, and providing support wherever possible.
Some key information
- Keep informed by following Hahana for daily 8:00 pm updates.
- To book a vaccination, go to nz or call the COVID Vaccine Healthline on 0800 28 29 26.
- The hours are subject to change, please check the COVID-19 Vaccination Roll-out website for the latest details.
- If you haven’t had your first dose, or you have transportation or mobility issues, a free taxi service through Auckland Coop Taxis (Blue Bubble) is available for assistance. Call the Vaccination Healthline on 0800 28 29 26 to book.
- If you’re house-bound, you can register for an in-home vaccination by calling 0800 28 29 26 (8:00 am – 8:00 pm, 7 days) or emailing [email protected]